1 lb. spareribs
1 tablespoon fermented soya beans
1.1/2 tablespoons cornflour in 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons soya sauce
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon gourmet powder
1 tablespoon cooking wine
2/3 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon minced scallion
2 teaspoons minced ginger root
a dash of pepper
1) Cut spareribs into pieces of a suitable small size and place them in a small aluminum pot.
Chop fine fermented soya beans.
2) Mix spareribs with fermented soya beans, soya sauce, salt, gourmet powder, sugar, minced scallion and ginger, pepper and 4 tablespoons of water. Marinate for two hours.
3) Coat steeped spareribs with cornflour solution. Divide into two bowls and steam covered for two hours.
(1) The taste and nutrition of the dish will be enhanced if, before steaming, some soya beans, well soaked, be added to the spareribs.
(2) Fermented soya beans, called dou chi in Chinese, gives a unique aromatic taste of its own. The best are the varieties produced in Hunan and Sichuan provinces.