1/2 lb. minced pork (lean and fat)
1 salted duck or hen egg, hard-boiled
2 teaspoons cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon gourmet powder
1 tablespoon cooking wine
1 tablespoon minced scallion
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
1 tablespoon sesame oil
a dash of pepper
1) Shell the salted egg. Use only the yolk. Break it into about a dozen pieces.
2) Put minced pork in a pot. Add cornstarch solution, salt, gourmet powder, cooking wine, fresh egg (beaten), minced scallion and ginger, sesame oil and pepper. Stir mixture till it feels sticky and firm. Spread this on a dish into a smooth round pie of about 2/3 inches thick. Garnish evenly on top with the small pieces of salted egg yolk.
3) Steam meat pie (with dish) on a perforated rack in a covered steamer for 15 minutes over high flame. Serve while hot.
(1) Before steaming, the seasoned mince may also be made into balls, garnished with egg yolk and then flattened into cakes.
(2) If available, some water chestnut and/or winter bamboo shoots (cut in tiny cubelets) mixed into the mince will greatly improve the taste of the dish.