9 oz. minced pork, lean with fat
9 oz. glutinous rice
1 tablespoon cornflour in 2 tablespoons water
1.1/2 tablespoons soya sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon gourmet powder
1 tablespoon cooking wine
1 tablespoon minced scallion
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
1 tablespoon sesame oil
a dash of pepper
1) Wash glutinous rice and leave it in lukewarm water for 3 hours until well-soaked (i.e., no longer hard at the core). Strain and spread evenly in a plate.
2) Put minced pork in small pot, add cornflour solution and break egg on it. Add all other seasonings - soya sauce, salt, gourmet powder, cooking wine, minced scallion and ginger, sesame oil and pepper. Stir the mixture well till it becomes sticky. Shape this batter into 3/4-inch balls. Roll balls over rice so that they become evenly coated with it. Arrange them in a serving dish.
3) Steam meatballs (with dish) in a steamer to cover over high flames for about 20 minutes. It should be served hot.
(1) Should glutinous rice be unavailable ordinary rice of a sticky variety may also do.
(2) The rice coated on the meatballs after steaming will become white and translucent like pearls. This will not only enhance its presentation, but the rice flavor and the delicious taste of tender mince will blend to make the dish highly palatable.