9 oz. minced pork
1 head of Chinese cabbage
1.1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon gourmet powder
2 teaspoons minced scallion
2 teaspoons minced ginger root
1 teaspoon cornflour in 1 teaspoon water
1) Peel leaves carefully off cabbage without damage. Clean, parboil and spread to cool in air.
2) Break egg on minced pork and mix well with all above seasonings in a small pot.
3) Wipe cabbage-leaves dry with a piece of clean cloth. Trim and cut them into squares. Spread a thin layer of seasoned mince on a square leaf, then put another leaf on top with another layer of mince and so on until there are five layers.
Steam on a dish in a closed steamer over high flame for 15 minutes. Before serving, cut the whole into pieces of a suitable size.
(1) Instead of pork, minced prawn or shrimp, fish or chicken may be used for the stuffing according to individual preference.
(2) Instead of steaming, the "cabbage sandwiches" may also be simmered in chicken bouillon seasoned with gourmet powder, cooking wine, salt and pepper; cooked in this way, the dish will be easier to chew. If preferred, the sauce may be thickened before serving.