1 lb. tender cucumbers
8 oz. minced pork
1.1/2 tablespoons soya sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt a pinch of gourmet powder
2.1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 teaspoons minced scallion
1 teaspoon minced ginger root
1) Wash cucumbers clean and cut into sections of about 3/4 inches thick. Scoop out inside flesh, turning the pieces into thick rings. Salt with a pinch of salt for a short while.
2) Break egg on minced pork and add soya sauce, rest of salt, gourmet powder, minced scallion and ginger. Stir well.
3) Wipe cucumber rings dry. Fill in ring-holes with seasoned mince.
4) Heat a flat-bottomed pan on fire. Put in peanut oil. When oil is hot, remove pan from fire and arrange stuffed cucumber inside. Return pan to fire and sauté cucumber rings until they turn golden brown on one side. Add about 4 tablespoons of boiling water. Cover pan and simmer for about 2 or 3 minutes or till almost dry.
(1) Since cucumber is tender and juicy, if the stuffed rings are sautéed on both sides, it is not necessary to add any water, but they should be simmered to cover so that cooking is done by the juice of the cucumber itself. Cooked this way, the cucumber may keep its fresh crispness but experience is necessary for the dish to be done to a turn.
(2) This dish may be served either warm or cold.