2 oz. bean-starch vermicelli
2.1/2 oz. each of: fine "noodles" of compressed beancurd, mung bean sprouts, asparagus lettuce, celeries, carrots
2 oz. young garlic stalks
1.1/2 tablespoons mustard paste
1.1/2 teaspoons salt
1.1/2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon gourmet powder
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1) Trim bean sprouts of roots. Wash clean. Peel asparagus lettuce and cut in slivers. Remove leaves and tough fibers of celeries. Sliver.
Wash carrots, pare and sliver.
Boil the above separately. Leave aside to cool.
2) Soak bean-starch vermicelli and bean-curd "noodles" in boiling water. Parboil them once more in boiling water. Remove and cool.
3) Dress all above - bean sprouts, asparagus lettuce, celery, carrot, garlic stalks, vermicelli and beancurd "noodles" - with the mixture of mustard paste, salt, vinegar, gourmet powder and sesame oil. Stir and mix well.
(1) Vermicelli after parboiling should preferably be mixed with a little sesame oil so that it does not stick together.
(2) The seasonings may be varied according to taste. For instance:
Use chilli oil (instead of mustard), salt and gourmet powder, and you will have "Assorted Vegetables in Red Oil".
Or you may season the dish with one of these combinations: (a) sesame oil, soya sauce and vinegar; or (b) sesame oil, salt and gourmet powder.
(3) This dish may be served either warm or cold.